BOARD CERTIFIED BY THE NATIONAL COLLEGE FOR DUI DEFENSE.
In the defense of a Driving Under the Influence case OR an Actual Physical Control case, there is NO attorney in Oklahoma that compares to Charles L. Sifers. No matter what the claim of any other lawyer in Oklahoma as to any credential, certificate, or training in DUI Defense, Mr. Sifers did it first or before that lawyer. He certainly also has credentials, certificates, or trainings to benefit a person charged with these crimes which that lawyer DOES NOT have.
Mr. Sifers was Oklahoma’s FIRST Member of the National College for DUI Defense. Mr. Sifers was Oklahoma’s FIRST Sustaining Member of the National College for DUI Defense. Through his efforts, MANY other lawyers followed and became members of this national organization which is the LEADER in making lawyers better in defending persons changed with alcohol related traffic charges.
Mr. Sifers is the FIRST Oklahoma Lawyer to ever be elected to the Board of Regents for the National College for DUI Defense. He was elected to the Board of Regents of the National College for DUI Defense on July 26, 2000, and served until May, 2005. Less than 80 men and women in the world have EVER reached this level of recognition in the field of DUI Defense.
He was the FIRST lawyer in Oklahoma to be awarded Board Certification in DUI Defense. Mr. Sifers was ALSO the FIRST Regent in the U.S. to ever sit for, and pass, the Board Certification Test in DUI Defense Law by the National College for DUI Defense (NCDD). During his tenure on the Board, he served as Co-Chair on the Board Certification Testing Committee and contributed to the writing of the certification test. It was during his 2003-04 tenure as Co-Chair of this Committee that the American Bar Association (ABA) recognized DUI Defense as a “Specialty” area of Law.
In 1996, Mr. Sifers was the very FIRST attorney in Oklahoma to own an Intoxilyzer 5000. At that time, there was probably less than 10 lawyers in possession of these law enforcement machines in the entire nation. He has been an intense student of these machines since 1996. He now is a co-owner of eight of these machines!
In 1996, Mr. Sifers became the FIRST DEFENSE ATTORNEY in Oklahoma to receive CERTIFICATION & FORMAL TRAINING as an Operator on these Intoxilyzer 5000 breath test machines. These machines are the primary testing device in DUI Cases. Until 2000, he was the ONLY such qualified defense attorney. In that year, the Oklahoma Board of Tests for Alcohol and Drug Influence (the Oklahoma State agency over these machines) held it’s first class for Certification of NON-LAW ENFORCEMENT Operators and Supervisors. Mr. Sifers – and C. Jeffrey Sifers, his son and former law partner – made up ½ of that training class! He has maintained his certifications as a breath test Operator and Maintenance Specialist every year since.
In 2006, Mr. Sifers became the FIRST defense attorney in Oklahoma to graduate from a formal training course on the current breath device, the Intoxilyzer 8000. This was BEFORE this machine was EVEN put into use in this State!
Mr. Sifers is the ONLY lawyer in Oklahoma who holds a certificate of successful completion (May, 2003) for the Robert F. Borkenstein Course on “Alcohol, Drugs, and Highway Safety: Testing, Research, and Litigation” based out of Indiana University at Bloomington. This course is for STATE WITNESSES to testify against DUI offenders. It is taught by the top forensic scientists in the world (Dubowski, Jones, Forney, etc). Only a handful of defense attorneys have been allowed to complete this course. And, since Borkenstein has now been closed to private attorneys, no other lawyer in Oklahoma will EVER complete it. As a result, Mr. Sifers has been exposed to the “other side’s” schemes unlike any other Oklahoma lawyer. This is a benefit to his clients that no other attorney in Oklahoma can offer!
Mr. Sifers has presented papers or taught MORE lawyers about DUI Defense than ANY other lawyer in Oklahoma’s history. He has literally taught 1,000’s of OTHER lawyers and/or Judges in Oklahoma and throughout the nation about defending DUI cases. He has taught in 14 states and/or foreign countries.
Mr. Sifers was the FIRST Oklahoma lawyer to speak at Harvard’s Law School on DUI Defense through the National College for DUI Defense. He has been asked to do that more than ANY other lawyer in Oklahoma.
Mr. Sifers has likely written and published MORE articles on drunk driving than ANY other lawyer in this State. Here is a list:
1. Defending DUI Cases: A Few Basics for Beginners, Q & A, The Newsletter for the OBA Criminal Law Section, Spring 2004
2. DUI/APC Law: A Specialty Area of Law, Q & A, The Newsletter for the OBA Criminal Law Section, Spring 2004
3. The Trilogy: Houston, Justus & Fenimore, The Gauntlet, The Law Journal of The Oklahoma Criminal Defense Lawyers Association, Fall 2003
4. HICKS v. STATE: “What the Legislature Really Meant …”, The Gauntlet, The Law Journal of the Oklahoma Criminal Defense Lawyers Association, Summer 2003
5. Ethical Considerations in DUI Cases: Simple Cases that are not So Simple, The Gauntlet, The Law Journal of the Oklahoma Criminal Defense Lawyers Association, Spring 2002
6. Pletcher v. State of Oklahoma ex rel. Department of Public Safety: The Parking Lot Issue Arises Again!, The Gauntlet, The Law Journal of the Oklahoma Criminal Defense Lawyers Association, Spring 2004
7. 2003 Legislative Update on DUI & Related Law: They Have Been at it Again!, The Gauntlet, The Law Journal of the Oklahoma Criminal Defense Lawyers Association, Summer 2003
8. The Intoxilyzer 5000-D “Self Diagnostic”, The Gauntlet, The Law Journal of the Oklahoma Criminal Defense Lawyers Association, Summer 2004
9. A Lesson in Voir Dire, Q & A, The Newsletter for the OBA Criminal Law Section, Vol. 3, Issue 2, Page 22, March-April, 2005
10. Response to Peggy Tobin’s Retrograde Extrapolation Article, Q & A, The Newsletter for the OBA Criminal Law Section, Vol. 3, Issue 2, Page 20, March-April, 2005
11. The Guth 2100 Simulator: The Phoenix Raises From the Ashes, The Gauntlet, the Law Journal of the Oklahoma Criminal Defense Lawyers Association, Spring 2005
12. The Continuing GUTH 2100 Saga, The Oklahoma Criminal Defense Weekly Newsletter, August 1, 2005
13. DUI Refusal: Jury Instructions, The Gauntlet, The Law Journal of the Oklahoma Criminal Defense Lawyers Association, Fall, 2005
14. DUI Jury Trials: More on Refusal Jury Instructions,The Gauntlet, The Law Journal of the Oklahoma Criminal Defense Lawyers Association, Spring, 2006
15. CATO v. STATE: Jury Instructions on Refusal of the Chemical Test – The Court got PART of it Right, The Gauntlet, The Law Journal of the Oklahoma Criminal Defense Lawyers Association, sPRING, 2007
At least ONE of these has been cited in legal pleadings in this State. One of these articles was directly responsible for a coming change in the standardized Jury Instructions in Oklahoma concerning breath test refusals. Ask ANY other Oklahoma lawyer if he can claim that he/she has ever done that in DUI Defense!
He is the ONLY DUI Defense lawyer to have served on the Board of Directors for the Criminal Law Section of the Oklahoma Bar Association. He is contacted regularly – and has been for almost a decade – by the CLE division of the Oklahoma Bar Association for planning seminars, particularly the Bar’s Annual Meeting.
In 2003, Mr. Sifers has been awarded certification in Standardized Field Sobriety Tests as both an Administrator of these tests AND a Trainer of other persons to become Administrators. One of his instructors was C. Jeffrey Sifers, his law partner. The younger Mr. Sifers was ALSO one of the instructors of another lawyer in this State who likes to claim this credential on his resume.
Mr. Sifers is a graduate from a Drug Recognition Training (“DRE”) program. He was one of the first persons that are NOT in law enforcement in Oklahoma who have graduated from this DRE training program.
Mr. Sifers has served on the Board of Directors of the Oklahoma Criminal Defense Lawyers Association and Oklahoma County Criminal Defense Lawyers Association. He was the Co-Chairman of the Continuing Legal Education (“CLE”) Committee for both of these organizations during his tenure. During these time, he was responsible for the training of hundreds – if not thousands – of other Oklahoma lawyers in DUI Defense.
He is a member of the National Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers, the American Bar Association, and the American Trial Lawyers Association.
Mr. Sifers served as a consultant to the Oklahoma Department of Public Safety on Alcohol & Drug Substance Courses (“DUI Schools”) in 1978. His recommended curriculum is STILL used as a state-approved guideline for the material taught in these courses today. As a DUI School Instructor, he taught over 20,000 persons these courses from 1979 to 1994. Mr. Sifers is a former Probation Officer and alcohol counselor for the City of Oklahoma City.
And, Mr. Sifers has NEVER been a prosecutor! Unlike some attorneys who seem to take pride in having been a former prosecutor, Mr. Sifers is proud that he has NEVER spent one second of his legal career trying to put anyone in jail! Every day of his legal career has been spent in DEFENDING those accused, not anything else! Mr. Sifers Law Office is located in Oklahoma City, where his practice is almost exclusively dedicated to representing persons charged with alcohol related traffic offenses throughout that state. He has represented close to 5,000 of these cases . . . and counting.
No other attorney in Oklahoma has the knowledge, experience, training, and credentials that Mr. Sifers can bring to your defense in a DUI or APC case. None. Period.